It’s finally that time a year…leaves are falling, the air is cool and crisp, and I can put away the summer gear. This is my favorite season.
Summer and I have never really gotten along. Sweat, bugs, humidity… you can have it!
Now Fall and Winter, YES! I love to bundle up, layer upon layer, watch how the trees change, and the bugs go into hiding. But my most favorite part of this season is the soups and stews. I like pumpkin spice, but this is the time for the warmth of yummy goodness.
Chili is one of my first go-tos when it gets cold, and this chili recipe has to be my absolute favorite! It just makes me happy! It has three beans; kidney, black, and red. But you can easily swap out the type of beans that you like.
I like to eat it by itself, on top of a baked potato, with tortilla chips as nachos loaded with vegan sour cream, or mixed with rice stuffed in a bell pepper. There are so many possibilities.
How do you like to eat your chili?
Three Bean Veggie Chili
- 2 TBS Vegetable Oil
- 1 Yellow onion or 2 shallots
- 1 Yellow/orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 Red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 Green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 Jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 4 Garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 C Vegetable stock
- 1-32oz can Petite dice tomatoes
- 1-14oz can Black beans
- 1-14oz can Red beans
- 1-14oz can Kidney beans
- 1 TBS Ground Cumin
- 2 TBS Chili powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- Step 1 Heat large pot over medium heat. Once heated add the oil.
- Step 2 To the pot, add the onions, peppers, and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Step 3 Slowly add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, and beans. Stir to combine.
- Step 4 Season with the cumin, chili powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Step 5 Turn the heat down and simmer for 10-15 minutes.