The cookie that makes you say, “oooooo, aahhhhh!”
This vegan chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipe is one for the record books! I am so picky when it comes to cookies and cake. So, I am holding on to this one and not letting go!
I have tested and tried many cookies recipes in my life. How about you? And I have not been satisfied. So, it was that time for me to do what I do best…troubleshoot the problem.
After mixing this with that, omitting this and changing that, I finally came up with what you are about to make. This vegan chocolate chip oatmeal cookies is crisp around the edges, yet soft and gooey on the inside.
This cookie is different!
What makes this cookie different is the texture and the nice balance of sweetness. For this recipe I opted for the rolled oats rather than the quick cooking oats. The quick oats made the cookie fluffy and soft. It was still yummy, but not what I was going for.
The sugar makes a big difference. It’s important to know how your sugars are going to behave in a recipe. Here I use raw sugar AND brown sugar. There is such a difference in sugars. I talk about it here. I found that using one or the other left me with something to be desired.
The last difference in these cookies are chocolate chips. This is where the fun came in! There are so many different types of chocolate that can be used. If you are vegetarian, there are even more options. I, sometimes, combine dark and semi-sweet chocolate chips, or get a chocolate bar and cut it up into chunks. But the way I normally do it is with semi-sweet mini chocolate chips. Simple and I don’t have to think too much about it. Ha! These tiny chocolate sweeties make the gooey part of the cookie…they melt into each other and yet still keep their form. Oh, my! I think I’m in love!!
Do what you want!
You can make them as big as your head or in small bite sizes. Whatever you fancy…
What has been your challenge with making cookies from scratch?
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie
This chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipe is one of my absolute favorites! Instead of using white sugar, I use raw sugar. It doesn’t dissolve completely, giving the cookie another awesome texture to munch on. But if that doesn’t matter to use, white sugar substitutes well. It makes a pretty big batch, so I roll them out, freeze them on a cookie sheet then place them in a freezer bag. When I have a craving, I pop them right in the oven. Perfect!!! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. 😉
- 1 C vegan butter, softened
- 1 C packed brown sugar
- 1/2 C raw sugar
- 2 flax eggs (2 TBS ground flax seed, 5 TBS warm water)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 C rolled oats
- 2 C chocolate chips (I prefer semi-sweet mini chips)
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Step 2 In a small bowl, make the flax eggs. Combine 2 TBS ground flax seed and 5 TBS warm water and stir. Let it sit for 10 minutes or until the water has become like egg-whites.
- Step 3 In a large bowl (for the wet ingredients), mix the butter, raw sugar, brown sugar, with a mixing spoon until smooth. I use a mixing spoon to avoid over-beating the batter.
- Step 4 Add the flax eggs and vanilla. Combine until smooth.
- Step 5 In a separate, medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and salt).
- Step 6 Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Mix until just combined (until you can still see very little flour).
- Step 7 Add the rolled oats and chocolate chips and mix until well combined.
- Step 8 Using a tablespoon or a ice cream scoop about that size, scoop out the dough and roll into a ball. Pat it down about half way, as it does not spread a lot due to the rolled oats.
- Step 9 Place on a cookie sheet with parchment paper and bake for 12 minutes or until the edges brown.
- Step 10 Cool slightly and serve!